jeudi 24 octobre 2013

J+8/ J+9: My first 2 days in Kruger Park

Despite unavailability of internet since Tuesday morning, I need to share my impression after two days spent in Kruger Park - before I forget the events' details, as each day brings new amazing experiences which tend to fade away the intensity of the precedent ones. 

I can proudly say that we (me and chakalaka team member Allan) have had the chance to view the Big Five (white and black rhinos/buffalos/elephants/leopard and lion). The lion and the leopard we did not see as close as the other ones we used binoculars), but maybe we'll have a better luck tomorrow.

We also met an incredible number of other animals, among which many antelopes of all kinds (mostly impalas, common reedbucks, steenbooks, common duikers, kudus and nyalas), giraffes, zebras, blue wildebeests, birds (cape glossy starlings and helmeted guineafowls), warthogs (Pumba from The Lion King), a few Hippos (we hope to see them closer tomorrow), spotted hyaenas, baboons, even a turtle and many other ones. This place is packed with animals. Many die from poaching. One was lucky to escape before I hit him with the car, probably an african civet from what we could see.

I took loads of pics but mostly with my cam ; so I need to find a computer to download before I can share.

After two days, I can say that driving left has become much more easy and natural. I am amazed of our ability to learn when we have to. I don't recognise myself in some aspects. For instance, I would define myself as much more practical and organized. I wake up early, practice yoga each morning, drive 4 hrs a day, spot animals easily (while driving), manage to make it on time to the camp and take quick and efficient decisions. I feel I really needed that trip as I feel vibrant and deeply alive. 

Yesterday was the first day in Kruger Park. After accomplishing the entrance formalities at Numbi Gate, we headed in direction of Pretoriaskop, our camp for the first night. We then spent the day roaming around the south of the Park. At the end of the day, we had seen 3 of the big five (elephants, buffalos and rhinos) and been surrounded by a herd of dozens of buffalos, one of the most dangerous species in Africa. We made it to the camp only a few minutes before gates closing (which happened everyday since!). Having had only 2 hours of sleep the night before, I fell asleep early and woke up next day in the happiest mood. We decided then to go Noth in direction of Letaba camp where we were to spend the night. After a few km, we passed across a group a 3 leopards. Only one was awake but we could see him quite distinctively. Later that day, we saw a lion sleeping (from far though). But we got so lucky to see very closely so many animals that it was enough with the felines for me. Kruger is an amazing Park. I had my first burger for a long time in one of the restaurants. Soya burger of course. Plus my first chakalaka. Delicious.

I'll send pictures (some of them amazing) as soon as I find a computer. Cheers!



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire